[Magdalen] How?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 22 23:16:11 UTC 2016

On 22/07/2016 23:52, ME Michaud wrote:
> i'd always thought English biscuits were pretty much the same as American
> cookies.
>
> You're making them sound like biscotti, but can that be true?

Usually not hat hard though the etymology is the same.  Most are easily
bitten into or broken but I avoid some, fearing the wrath of my dentist
who gas advised me not bite into uncut apples.  A gingernut biscuit
could be problematic.

> American biscuits are unyeasted bread rolls (baking soda and/or baking
> powder are the rising agents) and they tend to be firm on top but very soft
> in the center.

Unyeasted bread is an oxymoron to me.  Chad could expound onb the
different methods of rising flour products but essentially bread uses
yeast, an organism that reacts with sugars to reproduce and create
carbon dioxide as a byproduct toi create the rising effect. The
non-yeast approach to producing the carbon dioxide for rising is
essentially a chemical reaction where the proportions are more critical
than when using yeast.  What you describe are what I would regard as
plain (as opposed to fruit or cheese) scones.

Roger