[Magdalen] Just canceled landline.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Fri Jul 22 23:21:34 UTC 2016

On 7/22/16 5:38 PM, M J _Mike_ Logsdon wrote:
> by cable that you have to pay for, that you can no longer get broadcast
> TV?  We do have broadcast TV here in flyover country, though most of us
> have the option of cable or dish antennas.  I use "Rabbit Ears", because
> I refuse to pay money for television.<<<
>
> Not quite sure.  That's why the (parenthetical).  At least in my Comcast Territory, the age-old analog antenna-received signal has been gone for years.  That's why Anna, though now living in an apartment that COMES WITH a wall-mounted huge flat-screen TV (!), can only watch VHS and DVD -- rabbit ears are "past history", as they say.

Thanks, Mike.  Seems strange to me-- but especially the local stations
here were forced by the government to convert from analog to digital a
few years ago, and we were provided free converter boxes so we could
still watch (actually, a kind of rebate on the converter boxes) without
buying all-new TVs.  Eventually, the analog TV sets died of old age
anyway (mostly, I think: haven't taken a survey: mine did) while those
of us too stingy to buy a dish or go on cable and pay a monthly bill
still used our rabbit ears (we could also get an outside high antenna,
which provided a bit more distance).  I have a "new" TV set (which is no
longer all that new) now, and still use my rabbit ears without the
converter box now, and still don't pay a monthly bill.  I just don't
like television all that much anyway, and don't see that much appeal in
having more channels.  Most of the time it's not turned on at all.  I
might, very occasionally, like to be able to see C-Span or MTV, but not
enough to pay for them.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net