[Magdalen] How?

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 17:54:01 UTC 2016

One of my favorite food stories:

When maize was first brought to Europe, people went wild growing it. Yum
yum yum. And in due time began to develop pellagra.

Missionaries claimed the South Americans who characteristically ate corn
products always mixed in handfuls of wood ash when they made their corn
mash into tortillas. The lye in the wood ash increased bioavailability

The Europeans scoffed, because what could these uneducated savages know?
Well, for one thing, they knew how to prevent pellagra.

I love food stories.
-M