[Magdalen] The origins of maize: the puzzle of pellagra (EUFIC)

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 12:06:07 UTC 2016

The history of food is the most interesting history of all (even more
interesting than the history of the church). When you think about it, you
realize that what we call "Italian" is actually a South American/Asian
fusion. Before the sixteenth century there were no tomatoes, no peppers, no
polenta. No potato gnocci. Macaroni and eggplant came west with Marco Polo
. And before that the coastal Italians ate like Greeks and the upland
Italians apparently subsisted on wheat, barley, carrots, cabbages and
onions, like the rest of Europe.

Food tells us where we come from (African foods in the American South),
where we've been and how & when we've traveled, and who's in charge. Daring
and magical things have been happening around cooking fires and in kitchens
since long before history began.
-M