[Magdalen] Third holiest Christian pilgrimage site?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 30 19:02:28 UTC 2016

On 30/07/2016 19:26, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> In a message dated 7/30/2016 1:26:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> scottknitter at gmail.com writes:
>
> . What's  next: a giant ceiling-mounted
> sprinkler to disperse holy  water?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> In Western Europe, dotted with extremely impressive church
> structures, it takes a lot to impress some pilgrims, I guess.

Why should a pilgrimage site be architecturally impressive? Its
significance is its history and its associations.  Architectural
splendour can divert attention away from inspiring the pilgrim to ponder
on that, thus missing the point.  (I understand that in Hebrew "sin"
means "missing the mark",)

> Except for the wonderful baroque west facade, the final
> point of the pilgrimage is relatively unimpressive.  Maybe they
> were searching about for something (a gimmick?) to make
> it all more memorable.

God preserve us from a Disneyworld approach to our faith.

Roger