[Magdalen] For those of us US'ers (& maybe even Canadians)...

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 30 21:17:23 UTC 2016

On 30/07/2016 21:33, M J _Mike_ Logsdon wrote:
> I learned a surveyor's measurement term that I still laugh about:
> chain. A chain is 66 feet. Gotta love that. I can only imagine how it
> was invented (and no, I haven't looked it up yet, so there could be
> something truly smart about it, and most likely is). "Hey, Boyd, you
> got something to measure with?" "Got a length chain here." "How long
> is it?" "'Bout 66 feet." "That'll do."

Did you come across furlongs as well?  The name derives from "furrow
long" and is 10 chains. An acre is the size of a rectangle a furlong by
a chain. I have seen facsimiles of old maps with distances in miles and
chains.  There are 100 links in a chain so each link is just under 8
inches 25 links to the rod, pole or perch (they are interchangeable
terms). A chain is the distance between the wickets on a cricket pitch.

Roger