[Magdalen] Hornets

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Jul 31 20:29:52 UTC 2016

In a message dated 7/31/2016 4:01:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gracecan at gmail.com  writes:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We commonly prescribed them at the VAMC.  Usually there was one
for the trips and one for home per year (they expire in one year).

There are the three stages of allergy to these stinging insects:

(1) There is immediate pain and a localized reaction to a sting.

(2) There is immediate pain and shortly after the whole area (such as
an arm or leg) swells after a sting.  Patient should carry epipen  from
this point on.

(3) There is immediate pain, and then rapid onset of throat and
respiratory symptoms.  Epipen is used if available.

The first stage requires only local and symptomatic treatment.
The second stage is treated locally and symptomatically, but the
individual should get allergy testing and will most likely end up
with long term allergy injections to prevent anaphylaxis.(stage 3).

We had a great allergist at our VAMC, but she was cut secondary
to budgetary constraints.  I considered it a great loss.   She
continues in private practice locally.

David S.

Actually, my daughter already keeps them on hand for herself when  she goes
riding.

Grace  Cangialosi