[Magdalen] Speaking of unfortunate names

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 14:45:27 UTC 2016

Brud's mention of Rush City reminded me of the high school near where a
friend used to live. It used to be the consolidated high school of
Galesville and Ettrick, Wisconsin, and was known as Gale-Ettrick. It was
around when I was in high school, even. Sometime in the 1970s it swallowed
up the high school in nearby Trempealeau and became
Galesville-Ettrick-Trempealeau, or, Lord forgive us all,
Gale-Ettrick-Tremplo. It was abbreviated and known by students far and wide
as G.E.T. High.

As Martin Luther says, this is most certainly true.