[Magdalen] Happy birthday Gillian Barr and Ginga Wilder - June 3

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 3 22:58:54 UTC 2016

On 03/06/2016 22:47, Jon Egger wrote:
> We now start the time in June with many birthdays in the pub.
>
> OFF TOPIC: I've been watching videos about making candies.  The chef
> sounded like he had a British accent of some sort.  When he powdered a pan
> with what I call powdered sugar, he called it "Boston Sugar."

That got me searching  There was a Boston Sugar Refinery but they
prodiced regular granulated sugar (and notice the past tense there. Even
the Sugar Association does not mention Boston Sugar on their website.
This is where Google is your friend.  I was aware that in the UK we have
caster sugar and icing sugar which are both finer than regular sugar and
not obviously crystalline.
http://www.chowhound.com/post/caster-sugar-292236 suggests that powdered
sugar, also known as 10X superfine, is what I might call icing sugar -
readily assimilated with egg-whites to form icing (frostimg) for cakes.
Caster sugar is not so finely ground and can be used in a sugar-caster
to sprinkle over the top of a sponge cake.

Roger, who has reached the end of his culinary knowledge in this regard