[Magdalen] "Hand to Hand" - have you one to share?

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 14:54:59 UTC 2016

My paternal grandmother, when she was a child, attended the same Baptist
church in Salem, IL, in which William Jennings Bryan had grown up. She
remembered hearing stories from the older folks in the congregation about
"little Billy Bryan" and that everyone was immensely proud of him. She
didn't quite understand at the time who he was, but later on when she was
older and her family moved to Chicago it all began to make sense.

Another ancestor of mine (I don't at this moment remember which one, but it
was on my maternal side) gave lodging for a winter to a fairly well-known
missionary to the Native Americans, David Brainerd. This was probably one
of my Mills ancestors, as that family was rife with clergy early on. The
Armstrong/Lapsley side, being mainly Scottish and Scotch-Irish, were more
into business and economics.

One of S/O's ancestors, I discovered while researching his family tree a
few years back, had given lodging to a team of surveyors of northern
Virginia. This team included a young man named George Washington. I don't
recall now if it was the same ancestor or another one who was later on
*extremely* active in the underside of the American
Revolution...publishing, pamphleteering, etc., and possibly a spy. I'd have
to look at my notes.