[Magdalen] In memory of my Pop.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 14:47:56 UTC 2016

The one that used to tickle me as a child had a memorial window in my
parish church. Her maiden name was Sedate Silliman. She married a Holland
but used all three names. It was the first two that got me.

The director of the Memorial Union (UW student union) when I was a kid, and
even before, was a guy named Porter Butts. At some time or other, there was
a lawsuit involving some kind of funds and the Union in which Butts played
a prominent role and in which he apparently tried to hide something. At
some point during proceedings it all came out, and the student newspaper,
the Daily Cardinal, known for its irreverence, headlined the article about
it, "Butts Exposed in Union Suit". My dad got a huge guffaw over it.