[Magdalen] The Orthodox World.

Kate Conant kate.conant at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 17:38:22 UTC 2016

Here's the latest I've received about the Holy and Great Council in Crete:

*GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA*8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY
10075-0106 * Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0237
www.goarch.org    - Email: communications at goarch.org

Contact:
*PRESS OFFICE*Stavros Papagermanos
pressoffice at goarch.org

Date: June 6, 2016

*ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE ECUMENICAL PATRIARCHATE **ON THE HOLY AND GREAT SYNOD*

*NEW YORK –* The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America has received today
the text of an important announcement from the Ecumenical Patriarchate
about the Holy and Great Synod of the Orthodox Church, which is presented
below:

*ECUMENICAL PATRIARCHATE*

*Communiqué*

An extraordinary session of the Sacred *Endemousa* Synod of the Ecumenical
Patriarchate took place today under the presidency of His All-Holiness
Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew in order to review the progress of the
Holy and Great Council to be convened by the grace of God in just a few
days.

The Sacred *Endemousa* Synod was informed with surprise and wonder of the
positions and opinions expressed recently by some sister Orthodox Churches
and, after evaluating these, ascertained that no institutional framework
allows for the revision of the Synodal process already under way.
Therefore, it is expected that the Primates of the most holy Orthodox
Churches will bring, in accordance with the *Organization and Working
Procedure of the Holy and Great Council*, any “proposals to amend, correct,
or append the Synodal texts that were unanimously approved by the
Pan-Orthodox Preconciliar Meetings and by *Synaxes* of the Primates
pertaining to the agenda topics” (see Article 11) for final formulation and
decision during the sessions of the Holy and Great Council, with the
invocation and inspiration of the All-Holy Spirit.

The Ecumenical Patriarchate, which bears the first responsibility for
safeguarding the unity of Orthodoxy, calls all to rise to the occasion and
participate, on the pre-determined dates, in the sessions of the Holy and
Great Council, as was decided and signed on a pan-Orthodox level both by
the Primates during the Sacred Synaxes, as well as by those authorized by
each Delegation during the entire lengthy preparatory process of the
Council.

At the Ecumenical Patriarchate, on the sixth of June, 2016

>From the Chief Secretariat

As it is evident from the Announcement of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, the
Holy and Great Synod of all the Autocephalous Orthodox Churches will take
place as scheduled, with the possibility for discussion and decision on the
various views that were recently raised.

== 30 ==

"What does the Lord require of you, but to do justice, love mercy, and walk
humbly with your God?"
Micah 6:8