[Magdalen] In the weeds

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 11:56:18 UTC 2016

We used to eat dandelion greens all the time. But back in the old days in
New Hampshire hardly anyone ever used weed-killing chemicals. We
would gather them from a south-facing slope, never a boggy area, whch meant
they were cleaner (and never near an orchard, where the soil was
contaminated with arsenic).  Also easier to pick (because one assumed a
crawling position, not a stooped position, and crawled uphill, gathering as
you went).

I've seen dandelion greens for sale at Whole Foods.
-M, who's also helped mom make dandelion wine ... it had sliced citrus
fruit and raisins in the crock and came out sweet, a little like sherry
with an ever-so-slightly bitter finish. We also made rose petal wine and
rhubarb, These were considered fortifying and medicinal.