[Magdalen] In the weeds

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 20:57:38 UTC 2016

The road lilies (orange daylilies) are in full bloom here. Ours look better
this year than I can remember them any summer since I moved here. I have
always loved the mix of road lilies and the blue flowers of chicory. The
mullein, or verbascum to give it its fancy name, is just about to bloom
both on roadsides (native yellow form) and in gardens (various lovely
shaded cultivars), and various other lilies are blooming in gardens. Our
hostas are also just about to bloom, and the one we laughingly call
Gigantor, a Gold Standard one I brought from Richmond in a modestly
decent-sized outdoor pot, is rapidly outgrowing the 30-gallon pot we moved
it to a couple of summers ago. We are torn between dividing it and watching
it to see how big it will get. S/O allows as how he has *never* seen a Gold
Standard that big.