[Magdalen] Hidden Gems.

Kristin Rollins kristin at verumsolum.com
Tue Jun 21 18:31:17 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016, at 02:15 PM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford wrote:
> "Christ and Saint Luke's" -- What a charming name for a parish.  Also, I
> note that head musician Ken Kwan is only the fifth organist they've had
> at
> Ch & L since 1889.  He's also been in several very, very prestigious
> positions.
>
> They've got a Jungian therapist on staff, and they are proud that their
> sexton has been there for 25 years, and also coaches a local basketball
> team.  I get good vibes.
>
> They refer to selves as Episcopal and also as Anglican.  They say they
> like
> respectful conversation with all points of view.  No mention of gays, but
> one cannot have everything.

On that last topic, one of the couples who were plaintiffs in the
Virginia case for same-sex civil marriage was married there, and I'm
aware of another couple who were also. And it was a place where I felt
comfortable worshipping in those early days after coming out as
transgender. (Though it did feel strange that many weeks I ended up
sharing a pew with the sister of my wife's ex-husband.)

And I know that they are listed on the list of Welcoming Congregations
created by the apparently now-defunct Integrity chapter here and now
maintained by the diocese.

Kristin

Kristin Rollins
<organist at gmail.com>