[Magdalen] "May you live in interesting times."

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 24 07:53:29 UTC 2016

On 24/06/2016 05:28, Sally Davies wrote:
> Aint it so Mike. Are you watching the news from UK? Yikes!!
>
> The expert predicted this Brexit as bad news for us due to our strong trade
> ties with EU but maybe other outcomes are possible. Sky currently
> discussing Ireland and possible reunification!!

It will certainly mean the reintroduction of custome posts along a land
border which cannot be secured.  Not only are there the minor roads from
the time before the island was divided into two parts but apparently
some farmers have land which straddles the border.  What grants they get
could depend on which field the cows are in at a particular time.
Smugglers won't need boats or aircraft.

> Scotland for another referendum....?

Another possibility, which could well result in the creation of another
land border and the need for customs posts which were done away with in
1707, when there was nowehere near as much cross-border traffic.

Roger