[Magdalen] R.I.P. Ralph Stanley

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 21:42:24 UTC 2016

On "Fresh Air" today they played his version of "Man of Constant Sorrows," as well as a recording from 1955 with his brother Carter, the other half of the Stanley Brothers. Stanley also demonstrated the technique of "lining out" a hymn, which is still practiced by the Old Regular Baptists, among others. He used "Amazing Grace" as his example.