[Magdalen] Brexit 2nd vote?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 25 22:30:07 UTC 2016

On 25/06/2016 20:03, M J _Mike_ Logsdon wrote:
> Some want one, apparently.
>
> Whether it happens or not (please God, let it), now there's a functional democracy.
>
> (Use of "functional" taken from my current general manager's implementation of a "functional organisation chart":  anything can change at any time, as need dictates.)

It is certainly possible, especially given that the majority of Members
of Parliament are opposed to leaving the EU.  The procedure would be for
a new Bill to be introduced authorising a second referendum, quite
possibly extending the mandate to include those who are 16 or 17 on the
grounds that they would be 18 by the time the UK left the EU.  Those who
were and are for leaving would huff and puff but Parliament can pass
whatever Bills it likes and the monarch would then give her assent. Some
of those who were for leaving might change their mind when they see what
has happened to sterling and the Stock Market, and is likely to happen
to interest rates.

The Prime Minister has said he will leave it to his successor when to
start the clock on the departure process.  A second vote opposing
leaving that occurred before then would result in that notice not being
given.  How likely is this scenario?  I honestly don't know but the cold
light of the morning after the night before might just sgift things a
bit - and extending the franchise (as happened with the Scottish
independence refendum) could be the tipping point.

Roger