[Magdalen] Brexit 2nd vote?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 26 12:22:12 UTC 2016

On 26/06/2016 12:25, Christopher Hart wrote:
> A friend of mine suggested on Facebook a possible way around this. He
> suggested that the government could announce that it is calling a general
> election for the purpose of electing a Parliament that would have the task
> of deciding how or whether to implement the results of the referendum and
> that all candidates for MP should stand on the question of whether they
> will vote to leave or remain in the EU. If a majority of pro-Remain MPs
> (regardless of their party affiliation) is returned to Parliament they
> would then form a Coalition Government for the sole purpose of setting
> aside the result of the referendum, then after the UK's place in the EU is
> re-secured and the crisis is past, said Coalition government could step
> down so that whichever party has the most seats can form their own
> government. Sounds a bit optimistic to me, but it does suggest that
> something might be done differently. The referendum as I understand it is
> non-binding and the government still has to act on the matter. So a general
> election COULD be called to elect a government for that purpose.

Sounds overly complex to me and unlikely to succeed.  What would happen
in a constituency where two or more candidates were on the same side, as
would be the case throughout Scotland and probably elsewhere?  Allowing
a second referendum now that more people realize the consequences would
be simpler.  With the prospect of a new Leader in at least one major
Party (there are rumblings of discontent with Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour
Leader, as well) then now is not the time for your friend's idea.  New
Leaders and a General Election in the Spring would be a different matter.

Roger