[Magdalen] Conumdrum

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 15:28:48 UTC 2016

Sounds like they have an Epic problem. I don't mean that in the sense of
huge (or yuuuuuge) but in the sense of computer system. Epic is the name of
a Computer system that has come to dominate healthcare, and when it's
installed, or being installed, it can cause MASSIVE problems, such as
double-booking, double-billing (both of which have happened to me) and not
recognizing you. Just be prepared and arrive early.

I recently had to have an MRI at the local hospital (I don't like them
anyway, but that's another story). I was called beforehand and told that it
was at a certain location at 3:30, and to arrive there a half hour early.
They have an enormous new campus, so I gave myself plenty of time and
arrived 45 minutes early at the location I was told. When I got there I
presented myself at the desk, gave the young lady my ID and insurance card
as requested and stood there while she entered all info into her computer.
She frowned and informed me I was in the wrong place. I told her that this
was where I was instructed by pre=admission to go, and she told me that my
MRI was to be in the main building at 4, not in this building at 3:30,
although I was scheduled in both places. So I had to go back to my car and
drive all around the campus looking for the proper parking lot for that
location, then go and present myself to the desk for *that* location. When
I got there I halfway expected them to tell me my appointment was in the
other place but the young man just frowned and told me I'd been
double-booked by the system. I said I was not particularly amused, and he
explained that they'd just installed Epic about 3 weeks prior and it had
caused enormous headaches for everyone. I'm still waiting to be
double-billed!

Funny thing is, I considered going to work for Epic. I had so much
experience with different computer systems as a traveler and working in so
many different hospitals that I figured I'd be good at learning one more
and teaching it to nurses. I didn't. Maybe I should have.