[Magdalen] Speaking of mishaps...

Lesley de Voil lesleymdv at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 00:50:04 UTC 2016

On 6/27/16, Kate Conant <kate.conant at gmail.com> wrote:
> At least you weren't in the Orthodox church:
>
> I have seen spills during the distribution of communion during the Divine
> Liturgy.  Sometimes the priest will lick it off the floor.  Other times
> I've seen a book placed over the spot (so that that portion of the carpet
> can be cut out and burned later.
>
> Here's a comment from Monachos.net:
>
> "It is the custom in many churches (including mine) to have a small rug
> that is brought out at the time of the distribution of the Gifts to the
> people. It is put just in front of the priest and so when people come to
> receive, they stand on the rug and if, God forbid, there is any accident or
> spill, it falls on the rug which then can be taken out separately and dealt
> with appropriately without burning the floor or cutting the carpet.

The old Sarum Rite included the use of a Houseling Cloth - a large
cloth roughly the size of a Humeral veil (maybe 5ft by 2ft) which was
suspended by two assistants at the Distribution, who held it
horizontally between the Priest and the recipient, specifically to
catch any pieces of Consecrated Host that may fall as the Priest
communicates the Host directly on the tongue of the recipient.
Communion to the congregation was of one kind only, so a large amount
of wine was not needed, thus minimizing any accidents such as what
Grace suffered!

Regards
Lesley de Voil