[Magdalen] Rose is a Rose.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Mar 6 21:52:40 UTC 2016

In a message dated 3/6/2016 4:14:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
wmmah at stoneledge.net writes:

No  rose here.  Just a plain, purple  stole.>>>>>

Was the presider in cassock, surplice and stole (widely used in most
parishes
in TEC back in the day) or stole over alb?  Or with chasuble  over
the top of it all?

There was a bishop who had been Rector of the now defunct
Saint Paul's on-the-Hill, St. Paul, MN, and who came back to visit  that
parish from time to time.  He always wore the whole enchilada ---  cassock,
alb and stole, dalmatic (he was a deacon, too) and then either cope
or chasuble, depending on the liturgical action.  Strikes me as being  a bit
warm.  It also goes to show that the deacon's support of the back of  the
presider's chasuble had a useful function back in the day.  The  vestments
could be quite heavy!

Mother Angelica to Latin Rite priest:  "Why does the deacon or the  server
elevate the back of the chasuble at the Elevations?"    Answer:  "Well, I
can
assure you it is not to show off the fanny of the presider."

David Strang.