[Magdalen] Could you not watch with me one brief ... ?

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 04:36:24 UTC 2016

I've mentioned that our eldest cat, Max, begs for food, but, like many
cats, he only eats a small amount. I think Dr. Fox says cats typically only
eat small meals, so they need frequent feedings.  When I'm working on a
musical piece, Max will be in my office and will tell me he needs a little
something.
I would feed him and go back to work only to have him come and tell me
again in less than five minutes.  I take him back and show him his food.
"Gosh, thanks, Dad!"  and he plows in.
And in a couple of minutes he is back, telling me he needs to be fed.

I have feared that he is in the first stages of dementia, which might be
the case, but another possibility has popped up.  Maybe he just wants
someone there while he eats. I have got a food dish and a can of food at my
work station now, and when he tell me he needs food, I can just put it down
for him right there and sometimes just gently pet him as he eats.

My spouse reminds me that one of our former companions, Lydia, wanted
someone with her while she ate. "She always wanted me to spot for her,"
said Christine.

We have noticed some fairly cunning moves by Max from time to time, so
perhaps the "spotting for him" idea is right. Hope so....

Today was a little different, because all the cats are in my office. We do
not want them to be hurt by funny substances in the floor, and so they will
stay over here for a while. This means the big guys will try to hog the
little guy and girl's food.

I fed Max at my computer, with him in my lap. Didn't get much work done,
but we only have these creatures for a short time. I can think of stuff
while I pet him, and if it makes him happy, I'm happy. I also put a small
dish on the desk for Nancy our littlest kitty. She also will give up her
food to the bigger cats, so I can feed her and fend off the other guys at
the same time, and also look at stuff on the confuser.

She is definitely my cat, so she is very happy to eat at my desk, if she's
not walking around my lap and giving me head-butts. Dear little girl!

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford