[Magdalen] Joan Baez

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 04:38:52 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 9:43 PM, Scott Knitter <scottknitter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I remember visiting there in the 70s on a family trip to Montreal. Man
> and His World.

That's the place. That was a fun trip. We did 3 "shows" a day. There were 2
groups, 4 of us from the West Georgia area, and 4 black singers from Dothan
Alabama. Each group would sing 2-3 songs, then a short introduction to what
we were doing, then 2-3 together.

Evenings, we would gather after dinner in the Sheraton ballroom and sing
some more, no one else there. There was a lady who painted the Ukranian
eggs. Her son was in seminary to become an orthodox priest, he wanted us to
sing one of the songs he was working on. Of our 4, 2 of us read
conventional notation, the other two only read shape notation. I took it
back to the room and wrote it out into shapes. The next evening, we read it
for him with few errors. I have difficulty thinking of two more differing
styles of music.

There were other very interesting performers and artists. The Wilton
foundry from Pennsylvania did metal sandcasting; An older black artist,
really wish I could remember his name -  carved busts out of anthracite.

Another of the singers was a ballad singer Almeda Riddle from Mountain
View, Arkansas. She was a regular at the Ozark Folk Center State Park. I
had no idea I would be one of the presenters at that park almost 40 years
later; we do a shape note gathering early July each year.
--
P. Dan Brittain
Harrison, Arkansas

http//:pdanbrittain.com
<http://pdanbrittain.com>* <http://pdanbrittain.com/>*
Transcriptions, Arrangements and Original Compositions
Wind Band, Brass Band, Choir, and Ensembles
Commissions accepted