[Magdalen] Joan Baez

Mahoney, W. Michael wmmah at stoneledge.net
Tue Mar 15 03:01:41 UTC 2016

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 10:07 PM, Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'd love to hear the Bell concert, but I will be on an 8-day retreat in
> PA. The Paramount is a wonderful venue, but I'm a little surprised the
> concert isn't being held at Old Cabell Hall at UVA. The acoustics there are
> outstanding.

Yes indeed, the round and be-domed auditorium in Old Cabell Hall on the UVA
campus is a great place to hear music.  I thought at first that it was too
large for chamber music but that is not at all the case.  We have heard
some great music there.

The Paramount is also a wonderful place.  It is also somewhat more
accesible  -- Old Cabell Hall is more convenient for people who are already
on campus.

My guess is that the non-profit that owns and operates the Paramount is the
agency that booked Bell and his entourage and the various other artists
that appear there.  They surely need to fill the place as often as possible
in order to meet what must be quite a financial challenge.

Mike M.