[Magdalen] Sacred Triduum?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Mar 15 15:56:10 UTC 2016

The quarterly "Worship" published by the Benedictines of Saint John's
Abbey (Collegeville, MN) has a lengthy article emphasizing the recent
introduction of the concept of Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and
the Easter Vigil as one continuum ("Sacred Triduum").  The  article
traces the development of this concept only since the 1960's, but  OTOH,
stresses that this is "correct" theology of the end of Holy Week.   Lent
for Roman Catholics ends with the start of "Holy (Maundy) Thursday.

By coincidence (I think) the Rector of Saint Mary the Virgin Parish
("Smokey Mary's") has this subject as his weekly blurb to  congregation
and friends of the Parish.  He also points out how recent the  concept
and the term are, and claims that the term is not used in the  1979
TEC Prayerbook.  Saint Mary's is therefore dropping the use of  the
term, "Triduum," and simply labeling the days, Maundy Thursday,
Good Friday, and the Easter Vigil.  Each of these days will
be a separate entity.

Poor me.  I just learned how to spell "Triduum" and now it's  gone?

David Strang.