[Magdalen] Sacred Triduum?

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 15 18:02:57 UTC 2016

The Byzan tine Rite gets many things correct; but the last three Days of Holy Week is not always one of them. The popularity of the Matins services sometimes, but not always, overshadows the Institution of the Eucharist. Some places have moved what should be morning services back to their popular time slot in the evening. At St John's I believe the Passion Gospel Service takes the place of Great Vespers and th e Divine Liturgy of St Basil. IN larger churches the Vesper Liturgy has been done in the Morning.  I think the Carpatho Rusyns are beginning to celebrate at the proper time. It is quite a task to do more than one major service in a day. It can be a marathon sometimes with small congregations. At Christ the Redeemer, we did Vespers and Liturgy at 3:30PM and then had a break or collation and did the Passion Gospel Service at about 7 or 8. I inherited this arrangement from my Benedictine predecessor Fr. Vladimir Tarasevitch (later Bishop)
Our church had this schedule for many years. I think it was somewhat novel at the time.

Joe