[Magdalen] More amazing music

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Mar 17 01:47:29 UTC 2016

In a message dated 3/16/2016 6:47:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

It  happens to be a requiem, but wow, what gorgeousness. I've never heard
it
before and don't know anything about it. I think I may have heard of  the
composer before but not sure in what context, perhaps a film score?  Anyway,
this might do for now, or Holy  Week....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfxNeN6VbmA&index=8&list=RDEMO_gOaGJMJ0Xbkme
P0m5mrA>>>

This YouTube selection also introduces me to the Requiem of
Charles Villiers Stanford, one of the triumvirate of Victorian  British
composers (the others:  Parry and Elgar).  Stanford wrote a  lot
of liturgical music for the Anglican Rite even though he was an  Irishman.
His symphonies are quite nice, and I play them all periodically.

His Requiem may be a bit triumphant for some, and rely a bit too much
on the soloists, but it's still a nice work.

David Strang.

\