[Magdalen] R.I.P. Joe Garagiola

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 02:21:41 UTC 2016

One of our favorite movies is Best in Show, in which Fred Willard
plays an enthusiastic and somewhat daft TV presenter at the major dog
show of the year, paired with the British dog-show expert of the day.
"Trevor, they should put a pipe and a hat on one of the
bloodhounds...sort of a Sherlock Holmes thing...it would be a real
crowd-pleaser, don't you think?" "Ah, no, I don't think that would be
appropriate, actually." Anyway, the first time we saw it I spent the
next couple of hours trying to figure out who Fred Willard was
impersonating...of course, it was Joe Garagiola...same voice
inflections, same little squint, similar smile. A bit dafter than Joe,
though. But clearly a Garagiola style.

Rest eternal and light perpetual for Joe, O Lord. Amen.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA