[Magdalen] Attempted Robbery at Local Dining Spot Foiled by Patrons

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 23:22:27 UTC 2016

As I think I've mentioned before, the branch that held our bird feeders
broke off last year, and S/O replaced it with a long steel pipe which is
securely bolted into the tree at an angle and has a couple of baffles along
it. The feeders are raised and lowered by a pulley system. We were fairly
certain that the squirrels which inhabit the tree (mostly young ones,
apparently) couldn't get to the feeders. However, certain of the more
adventurous ones have tried, and some of them have actually made it as far
as the end of the pole or even, in a couple of cases, to the top of the
larger (sunflower seed) feeder. These are usually the smaller squirrels, as
larger ones' paws seem to not be able to grasp the nylon cables. However,
those that get that far usually find themselves *very* precariously
balanced about 15 feet off the ground with nothing to grab onto or land on,
and as soon as they can figure out how they generally beat a hasty retreat
to a higher branch where they sit and swear for awhile before going about
their squirrelly business.

So the other day one young bushy-tailed fellow sat and contemplated the
pole for awhile and finally ventured out on it as we watched. There were
diners at both feeders and most of them paid no attention until he got
rather close to the end of the pole. At that point some of the diners left
hurriedly and a couple of patrons of the sunflower feeder squawked at him
loudly. He actually made it all the way to the top of the thistle feeder, a
very narrow perch indeed, but at that point, as he was contemplating his
next move (and simultaneously trying to maintain his position), two
goldfinches who had been dining at the feeder decided they were not having
any of this invasion and went after him. He didn't have time to think about
how he was going to get up that cable and back over that pole....with them
screeching and flapping and pecking at him he just DID it! The didn't stop
there, either--they chased him clear up the tree, screeching at him all the
way! That was one *very* frightened squirrel. Somehow I don't think he's
going to attempt that again. The goldfinches, having made sure he was
perched safely on a high branch, returned to their meal. The proprietors of
the cafe returned to their various tasks as soon as they stopped laughing.