[Magdalen] Letters after my name

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sun May 1 06:26:23 UTC 2016

There have been remarkable women in my life, and I've always felt
influenced by them.

At seminary, I discovered, in a closer reading of scripture, that virtually
every important event was guided or precipitated by a woman. Every one.
This suggests that the writer(s) viewed women as profoundly powerful.
Harold Bloom is convinced that J was a female member of the Judahite court
just after the break-up of Israel. I kind of think the view of those
writers (and most likely the Great Redactor especially) was patriarchal,
but with a real fear of the woman. How else explain how almost every branch
in the currents of history turns on the actions of a woman? We fear those
whom we have wronged.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford