[Magdalen] Stupid question

Eleanor Braun eleanor.braun at gmail.com
Wed May 4 15:29:19 UTC 2016

Of course for the general election for president, there is the
constitutional provision for the (outdated, stupid, undemocratic) Electoral
College.  It's not necessarily a good reason, but it's the only one that
matters until changed.

In the primaries, oh such a different question.  One of the most important
parts of our whole process is not mentioned in the constitution -- the
political parties.  You might check out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_primary

and
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2015/05/12/everything-you-need-to-know-about-how-the-presidential-primary-works/

The parties are private organizations, which choose to have national
conventions.  They can set their own rules.  One rule that has to be
figured out:  plurality or majority.  Mr. Trump will probably go in with a
plurality of votes cast but a majority of delegates.  If there are many
candidates who do well and no one has a majority, you have to have a system
of sorting out who is going to get the nomination.  It's complicated.  And
the discussion now about all these Republicans who will not go to the
convention or will not support Trump shows one of the major stressors.

Your suggestion for "pure democracy" raises a red flag for me -- it opens
the door for a demagogue like Trump to become president.

Eleanor