[Magdalen] Stupid question

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed May 4 15:34:39 UTC 2016

I've often wondered the same things. My assumptions (which may be
wrong, of course):
1. The primaries are a function of the parties, basically, and perhaps
the state party organizations most of all. I assume that it would be
possible for the parties to select their candidates solely through
conventions restricted to card-carrying party members but that
primaries and caucuses were adopted as the best poll of the party
members and sympathizers in each state. So now we have that tradition,
with its varying rules by state (and D.C. and Puerto Rico, Democrats
Abroad, etc.).
2. The Electoral College comes up for discussion every four years,
just like daylight saving time every six months, and then it all
quiets down again. On the one hand it seems a quaint mechanism
designed for a large country pre-Internet and pre-automobile (and
pre-radio). One advantage I can think of is that the Electoral College
system quickly pinpoints the location of a problem: the Bush-Gore
problem was pinpointed to Florida. If the general election were
nationwide majority, I wonder how that might have gone. Perhaps the
hanging chads would not have surfaced as much of a problem at all. But
I think Electoral College proponents have better arguments than this,
and so do opponents.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA