[Magdalen] Ft Ord.

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 4 15:47:01 UTC 2016

>>>Incidentally, I saw some ghostly pictures of a semi-ruined Ft. Ord
Army Base yesterday.  I hadn't realized the base had closed some
years ago.  It's sad to see the moldering.<<<

Closed in 1994.  Much of the older buildings have been torn down, and much of that space has been re-developed.  Obama apparently in 2012 designated parts of the original base as a historical monument of sorts.

Before the tearing down began, I was lucky enough to drive through them on the old streets, and so steep they were, I gave Everett a thrill by breaking the law and zooming from top to bottom at lightning speed.  Dangerous, but fun.  And though all had condemned signs, we actually should have tried roaming around inside, just to say we did.  We didn't.

Besides Cal State Univ Monterey Bay (CSUMB; "sea-scum" in some people's mouths), the other most notable bit of re-development is the East Garrison Subdivision:  http://www.eastgarrison.com .