[Magdalen] Virginia Suffragan to Liverpool...wow!

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed May 4 18:54:00 UTC 2016

On 04/05/2016 19:31, Scott Knitter wrote:
> I see the Liverpool appointment is in addition to her continuing role
> as suffragan in Virginia. On first reading I thought she was leaving
> to become a C of E bishop. Still cool, but not quite as wow, I guess.

It is unusual in that C/E Assistant Bishops are normally bishops who
have retired to the area and are called on to assist with confirmations
and some other episcopal rites.  What is particularly interesting is
that Bishop Susan will apparently be taking on a wider role than that
and Bishop Paul wants her to contribute to the pastoral leadership of
the diocese in a real way.  I assume she was required to take the
Declaration of Assent (which civers worship and doctrine) and the Oath
of Canonical Obedience to the diocesan. Things gave changed since
Seabury's day so the Oath of Allegiance to the monarch could be
dispensed with.

Roger