[Magdalen] Stupid question

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu May 5 00:05:07 UTC 2016

On 04/05/2016 23:40, Kate Conant wrote:
> 1948 Harry S. Truman (D) 57.1% 49.5%
> 1960 John F. Kennedy (D) 56.4% 49.7%
> 1968 Richard M. Nixon (R) 56.1% 43.4%
> 1992 William J. Clinton (D) 68.8% 43.0%
> 1996 William J. Clinton (D) 70.4% 49.0%
> 2000 George W. Bush (R) 50.3% 47.8%

that does not tell the whole story. The vote in the Electoral College
does not, and cannot, mirror the popular vote accurately. In each state
the candidate who gets more votes than any otrher candidate (not
necessarily an overall majority) gets all that state's votes in the
Electoral College.  In only one of those years did a plurality in the
popular vote (more than any other single candidate) not translate into a
majority of the Electoral College - 2000 when the Florida vote went to
the Supreme Court over how to treat the hanging chads, ballots where the
punch had not totally removed the bit of ballot paper. In the other
election minority candidates split the vote, denying the winner an
overall majority. Looking only at the two major parties we get:

1948    Truman    49.55%    Dewey    45.07%
1960    Kennedy`49.72%    Nixon    49.55%
1968    Nixon    43.42%    Humphrey 42.72%    Wallace    13.53% (and
actually carrying some states)
1992    Clinton    43.01%    Bush    37.45%    Perot's 18.91% was spread
too evenly to carry any state
1996    Clinton    49.24%    Dole    40.71%

which leaves us with

2000    Gore    48.38%    Bush    47.87%

as the only election in living memory where the candidate who would have
won in a first past the post popular vote election did not secure a
majority in the Electoral College and so become President. I feel I
should insert a word of warning here.  If you did away with the
Electoral College then a vote in Utah, Florida or California would carry
the same weight.  With the Electoral College some states are regarded as
"safe" for one perty or the other so there is no real need for either of
them to put significant effort into canvassing there. That would not be
the case if the election were decided on the popular vote alone. Parties
would start hitting all states with their campaigning.  Be wary what you
ask for.

Roger