[Magdalen] Medical update (& honestly, getting' a little scary).

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Thu May 5 14:21:14 UTC 2016

I second that about Versed, Mike!! I had it for my gall bladder surgery, for an endoscopic examination, for two colonoscopies and even for my knee replacement, which was done with a nerve block and not general anesthesia.  All were absolutely painless, and I may as well have been under for all that I remembered of them.
One funny story, if you're up for it:
My surgeon told me he didn't use general anesthesia for knee replacements. I really didn't want to hear all the hammering and sawing, but decided I could handle it if I had to. I had been awake and watching the monitor when I had the arthroscopic procedure, so I figured this would only be worse because of the added sound effects.
I met with the anesthesiologist before the surgery, and he corroborated what the doctor had said. So I braced myself and tried to appear brave.

Fast forward to the recovery room. As I wake up, I see the anesthesiologist (Cosmo) standing by the bed.
Me: You lied to me!
C: I never lie to my patients--what are you talking about?!
Me: You said you weren't going to put me to sleep!
C: You weren't asleep; you were talking the whole time.
Me: That is NOT good news!