[Magdalen] Sex determination (was something else)

James Handsfield jhandsfield at att.net
Fri May 6 13:32:44 UTC 2016

There’s a difference between the genetics and the anatomical development of an embryo or fetus.  You are right that an embryo is male or female in most cases.  Genetic confusion does occur, but it’s usually fatal long before term.

The argument that an embryo or fetus becomes a different sex in development is also mistaken.  It’s based on the long discredited idea that ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny.  The anatomical sex differences are homologous in that they arise from the same embryonic structures.  There are two embryonic reproductive systems in mammals - the Malphigian system and the Wolffian system.  The Malphigian system becomes dominant in males and the Wolffian system in females, but both systems exist in both sexes.

Alleluia!  Christ is risen!

James Handsfield
jhandsfield at att.net