[Magdalen] Suffer The Little Children?

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Mon May 9 03:32:58 UTC 2016

On 5/8/16 4:23 PM, AT&T wrote:
> Why does Communion wait?  If children are baptized, they should be able to receive.
>
> Jim Handsfield

Ascension Day (transferred?) is a very good time....

http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/0512.shtml#imel

Blessed Imelda Lambertini, OP V (AC)
Born in Bologna, Italy, in 1322; died there on the Feast of the
Ascension, May 13, 1333; cultus confirmed in 1826; named patron of first
communicants by Pope Pius X.

One of the most charming legends in Dominican hagiography is that of
little Imelda, who died of love on her first Communion day, and who is,
by this happy circumstance, patroness of all first communicants.

Tradition says that Imelda was the daughter of Count Egano Lambertini of
Bologna. Her family was famous for its many religious, including a
Dominican preacher, a Franciscan mother foundress, and an aunt of
Imelda's who had founded a convent of strict observance in Bologna.

Imelda was a delicate child, petted and favored by her family, and it
was no surprise that she should be religious by nature. She learned to
read from the Psalter, and early devoted herself to attending Mass and
Compline at the Dominican church. Her mother taught her to sew and cook
for the poor, and went with her on errands of charity. When Imelda was
nine, she asked to be allowed to go to the Dominicans at Val di Pietra.
She was the only child of a couple old enough not to hope for any more
children; it was a wrench to let her go. However, they took her to the
convent and gave her to God with willing, if sorrowing, hearts.

Imelda's status in the convent is hard to discern. She wore the habit,
followed the exercises of the house as much as she was allowed to, and
longed for the day when she would be old enough to join them in the two
things she envied most--the midnight Office and the reception of Holy
Eucharist. Her age barred her from both. She picked up the Divine Office
from hearing the sisters chant, and meditated as well as she could.

It was a lonely life for the little girl of nine, and, like many another
lonely child, she imagined playmates for herself--with this one
difference--her playmates were saints. She was especially fond of Saint
Agnes, the martyr, who was little older than Imelda herself. Often she
read about her from the large illuminated books in the library, and one
day Agnes came in a vision to see her. Imelda was delighted. Shut away
from participation in adult devotions, she had found a contemporary who
could tell her about the things she most wanted to know. Agnes came
often after this, and they talked of heavenly things.

Her first Christmas in the convent brought only sorrow to Imelda. She
had been hoping that the sisters would relent and allow her to receive
Communion with them, but on the great day, when everyone except her
could go receive Jesus in the Eucharist, Imelda remained in her place,
gazing through tears at the waxen figure in the creche. Imelda began to
pray even more earnestly that she might receive Communion.

When her prayer was answered, spring had come to Bologna, and the world
was preparing for the Feast of the Ascension. No one paid much attention
to the little girl as she knelt in prayer while the sisters prepared for
the Mass. Even when she asked to remain in the chapel in vigil on the
eve of the feast, it caused no comment; she was a devout child. The
sisters did not know how insistently she was knocking at heaven's gate,
reciting to herself, for assurance, the prayer that appeared in the
Communion verse for the Rogation Days: "Ask and it shall be given to
you, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened to you."

The door was opened for Imelda on the morning of the Vigil of the
Ascension. She had asked once more for the great privilege of receiving
Communion, and, because of her persistence, the chaplain was called in
on the case. He refused flatly; Imelda must wait until she was older.
She went to her place in the chapel, giving no outward sign that she
intended to take heaven by storm, and watched quietly enough while the
other sister went to Communion.

After Mass, Imelda remained in her place in the choir. The sacristan
busied herself putting out candles and removing the Mass vestments. A
sound caused her to turn and look into the choir, and she saw a
brilliant light shining above Imelda's head, and a Host suspended in the
light. The sacristan hurried to get the chaplain.

The chaplain now had no choice; God had indicated that He wanted to be
communicated to Imelda. Reverently, the chaplain took the Host and gave
it to the rapt child, who knelt like a shining statue, unconscious of
the nuns crowding into the chapel, or the laypeople pushing against the
chapel grille to see what might be happening there.

After an interval for thanksgiving, the prioress went to call the little
novice for breakfast. She found her still kneeling. There was a smile on
her face, but she was dead.

The legend of Blessed Imelda is firmly entrenched in Dominican hearts,
though it is difficult now to find records to substantiate it. She may
have been eleven, rather than ten when she died. The convent where she
lived has been gone for centuries and its records with it.

Several miracles have been worked through her intercession, and her
cause for canonization has been under consideration for many years. As
recently as 1928 a major cure was reported of a Spanish sister who was
dying of meningitis. Other miracles are under consideration. The day may
yet come when the lovable little patroness of first communicants can be
enrolled in the calendar of the saints (Benedictines, Dominicans, Dorcy).

In art, Imelda is a very young Dominican novice, kneeling before the
altar with a sacred Host appearing above her. She is venerated at
Bologna and Valdipietra (Roeder).

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net