[Magdalen] First fruits

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon May 9 15:20:39 UTC 2016

No tomatoes here (damn walnut trees!) although s/o has read of a method
which sounds promising.....filling a 5-gallon bucket (holes drilled in the
bottom for drainage) with good soil from elsewhere), covering the soil with
plastic, and inserting the tomato plants through slits in the plastic, then
keeping them in a place free of the incursions of walnut--infested soil or
marauding squirrels with walnuts to bury. Our upper deck would be a fine
place. I don't have my herbs in either; they normally are planted in pots
on said upper deck, but I haven't visited my neighborhood greenhouse due to
the exceedingly chilly, rainy weather. This week, for sure.

The greenhouse is run by a lovely Mennonite (conservative--wears "uniform
dress" and cap, but drives) lady who employs several of her female
relatives, including a look-alike sister, an exceedingly elderly woman who
is either her mother or aunt, and a sweet Down's syndrome woman who does a
great deal of the fetching and carrying and who surprised me last year by
informing me that she was about to turn 53...I had her pegged for *much*
younger, not because of the DS but because she simply looks about 35. In
fact, they all look much younger than they are, except for granny. And
Arlene (the owner) has just about the greenest thumb I've ever encountered.
She has the best collection of herbs anywhere, year after year, and coleus
that just knock your eye out, plus fine house plants and porch plants and
occasional oddments of garden plants, besides the old standards in fine
array. AND the best mulch anywhere. People come from all over just for the
mulch.