[Magdalen] First fruits

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Mon May 9 20:33:18 UTC 2016

Dan, real straw won't give you extra growing stuff, because it doesn't contain seed heads. Hay, on the other hand, will tend to sprout.
With straw bale gardening, you don't spread the straw--you use the intact bales, turned so an open side is facing up. Then you get it ready with compost--homemade or bagged--something like blood meal, soak it and cover with a tarp, watering as needed until it is seasoned--maybe a couple of weeks.