[Magdalen] Whither Pentecost Sequence.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun May 15 17:34:25 UTC 2016

Lucky you! We got a nice anthem which I didn't recognize, "holy Spirit,
Fill With Power" by Lani Smith. Also, for the prelude, an excellent
rendition of "Come Holy Ghost, Our Souls Inspire," with our amazing choir
director doing the cantorial part. (Have I mentioned that our choir numbers
at full strength, all of 10 people, mostly over 50, except for the director
and her husband?)

But we had to sing "Spirit, Spirit of Gentleness", a hymn(?) which I
utterly detest. It's one of those that my daughter, when she encountered it
in her days at Catholic high school, referred to as a "la-la hymn". IMNSHO
it is not suited to congregational singing with an organ, it belongs out
somewhere under the stars with a guitar and a campfire. I don't so much
mind the sentiments, but coupled with the tune I find it just icky. YMMV,
Oh well, the exit hymn was better, "God of Tempest, God of Whirlwind" to
Cwm Rhondda, which speaks of the Holy Spirit's *power* and doesn't reduce
it to a gentle nudge.