[Magdalen] Winter 2014 Olympics.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed May 18 21:43:54 UTC 2016

On 18/05/2016 22:10, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> An "insider" has alleged that there was wide-spread doping of Russian
> Olympic team members sponsored by the Russian State before and during
> the Winter Olympics of 2014 held in Russia.

It's not surprising (to me at least) that there could have been a
co-ordinated effort at Sochi 2014 to secure lots of goild medals for
Russia.  What can be upheld in an independent tribunal remains to be seen.

     <snip>

> The doping seems most obvious in the Russian track team areas, but
> this throws all Russian teams into limbo.

They are currently banned from international competition but hoping this
will be lifted in time for Rio 2016.

> I can't help but think back to the space programs and the development
> jet engines in the 1950's and 1960's when the USA was stunned that
> it seemed Russia was much more advanced in these areas.  Then
> it gradually became clear that all the technology Russia had used for
> these programs had been stolen by several American spies working  for
> Russia.  They weren't the formidable geniuses we thought they  were.
> They just had good spies.

They also apparently acquired details about the European Supersonic
transport Concorde and demonstrated their version (albeit with small
canard wings at the front)and was the first SST to fly in 1968. To say
it was not a commercial success would be an understatement.  Ot made a
total of 102 commercial flights, 55 of them carrying passengers.

Roger