[Magdalen] First fruits

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Sun May 22 00:14:20 UTC 2016

I confess, I haven't googled, but how does one care for asparagus?  Mine
died out within 2-3 years, and my mother had a strip along her fence that
seemed to go on forever.  I did read that cultivating the soil wasn't so
good, as it doesn't like its roots disturbed (but the roots were so deep --
down in a 12-inch trench!).  I would pull weeds as best I could, but I just
couldn't keep it going, and it was so much work to plant, that I never
repeated after that first batch.

Nothing in the ground here in Buffalo yet (the formal "first date" for
planting is Memorial Day, but it's probably okay by now) -- but I will have
herbs and tomatoes, at least.  I have a very small, raised, brick-bordered
bed that I use (maybe 5'x7').

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY