[Magdalen] First fruits

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun May 22 00:20:05 UTC 2016

In a message dated 5/21/2016 8:14:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ann.markle at aya.yale.edu writes:

Nothing in the ground here in Buffalo yet (the formal "first  date" for
planting is Memorial Day, but it's probably okay by now) -- but I  will have
herbs and tomatoes, at least.  I have a very small, raised,  brick-bordered
bed that I use (maybe  5'x7').>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just heard a horror story of damage from a late frost back in West
Central
Wisconsin - Climate Zone 4a.  A friend who was trying some of  the
Asian Magnolias appears to have heavy damage from a late spring frost
(quite common there until Memorial Day).  All the flowers are dead  and
gone, and so have the leaves.  The trees, I suppose, may still pull
through,
but it is obvious 25 F they do not like.

We were pretty close here last week with two lows in the low 30's F, but
there
was no damage.

David Strang.