[Magdalen] Interesting Sunday

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon May 30 15:34:12 UTC 2016

In a message dated 5/30/2016 11:02:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
cadyasoukup at gmail.com writes:

). We  have 3 regular Sunday services: 8am Rite I spoken
Holy Eucharist; 9:15 am  Rite II family service with folk music,
alternating between HE and MP; 11am  Rite II "formal" service
alternating between HE and  MP>>>>>>>>

This is a surprise.  In my experience, Choral MP is mostly
unavailable.  Is this a holdover from pre-1982 Prayer Book days
in a low-church Diocese of Virginia setting?

Having been on the liturgy war's front lines and on the side of
the Eucharist as the normative Sunday worship in TEC, I do think
this all went too far in killing Choral MP, and I would now, in my
riper years, love to experience Choral MP again.  For most of  TEC,
I'm afraid that baby has been thrown out with the bathwater.

I'm always amused by the ubiquitous "Said Holy Communion" at
8 AM in TEC parishes.  Vatican-2 forbade music-less weekend
Masses in the RCC, but these said services are really just a
Low Mass, alive and well in TEC.

David Strang.