[Magdalen] Railroads

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon May 30 16:46:02 UTC 2016

In a message dated 5/30/2016 11:51:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
polycarpa3 at ckt.net writes:

Ditto  for my home town, with later dates.

More railroad stuff:

In, say, 1950, there were no less than four passenger train routes
from the Twin Cities of MN to the Twin Ports (DuluthMN/SuperiorWI)
Now there is one route (as near as I can determine) provided by
Amtrak..

The original four were:

(1) The Great Northern with a route entirely within MN, and the furthest
west
of the series.  This is the route Amtrak uses.

(2) The Northern Pacific, with a route hugging the MN-WI line and
essentially
replaced by I-35.  Portions of this route are still used by small,  regional
railroads, and part of it is public trails.  My hometown spur  connected to
this route at Rush City, MN.

(3 The Soo Line with a route  mostly in Wisconsin, and the one that we
always
used.  A chunk of this is still used by an excursion ;private railway  from
Osceola, WI to Minneapolis.  The rest is abandoned with some of it  trails.

(4) The Omaha Road (C&NW) with a route far to the east nearly  completely
within Wisconsin.  Much of this trackage is abandoned, with some use  as
public trails.

What I wouldn't give to travel any of these routes now.

Ditto for riding the three crack trains Twin Cities to Chicago (The
Burlington
Zephr, the C&NW 400, and the Milwaukee Road Hiawathas).

End of trains babble.

David Strang.