[Magdalen] Another "worthless" food.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Nov 8 04:03:57 UTC 2016

In a message dated 10/2/2016 1:27:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
marionwhitevale at gmail.com writes:

Evolution at work over a long  time.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In my golden years, because of my interest in trees in general, I've
lived long enough to see some really important changes in the forests
of my native Wisconsin.

On the lighter soils, there has been a predominant forest type
consisting of two species that must have full sunlight to survive
(Jack Pine/Pinus banksiana and Hill's Oak/Quercus ellipsoidalis)
With the protection from fire over the past 85 or so years, these
species don't scatter their seeds ideally, and their seedlings cannot
survive under the mature tree shade.

There is, then, a very large area of Wisconsin, but also adjoining
Michigan and Minnesota where there are these light soils  showing
the unusual, if even a bit bizarre over story of oak and Jack Pine
with an understory of a more shade tolerant  species