[Magdalen] Leonard Cohen +RIP+

Mahoney, W. Michael wmmah at stoneledge.net
Sat Nov 12 17:55:37 UTC 2016

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 7:56 AM, Jay Weigel <jay.weigel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Most of Cohen's songs were better sung or better known by other artists. No
> shame in that.

My initial and basically only connection with Cohen came last year when I
directed *The Gin Game* for our community theater.  The playwright, Don
Coburn, called not only for a specific song but also a specific recording
of Cohen singing it.  Initially, I did not like the song, *Take This Waltz,
*but after umpteen rehearsals I grew rather fond of it.

Oddly, it was not in the initial Broadway run (Jessica Tandy/Hume Cronyn).
But Coburn was later persuaded to include a brief moment of dance and
music.  It was the idea of Julie Harris, who was in an early revival.

Mike M.