[Magdalen] Please pray for +WestMo

Jon Egger revegger at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 14:13:34 UTC 2016

Dear friends in Christ Jesus,

I have realized anew in the last few days that personal circumstances
sometime intrude on what I consider to be the trajectory of my life and
ministry. Today I need to share with you about just such a personal
circumstance that will certainly effect the course of my life in the days
to come.

About two weeks ago, following slightly troublesome lab results and a
biopsy procedure, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, which is
unfortunately an all-too-common occurrence in men my age. In preparing to
deal with this condition, my doctor requested I have a CT scan and a bone
scan both to define the extent of the tumor and to be satisfied that the
cancer has not spread. These scans were accomplished this past Monday,
November 14th, and the next day, Tuesday, Donna and I sat down with my
physician to talk over the results of the tests. The scans verified a small
mass in my prostate and also identified another small mass in my right
kidney, which – as it turns out – is the more concerning of the two.

The affected organs need to be surgically removed, and I meet with a
laparoscopic surgeon next Wednesday to set the date for the first of two
surgeries, the removal of my right kidney. Thankfully God saw fit when
humanity was created to give us a spare, so I will be able to live and
function very nicely on my good, left kidney. The second surgery, a
prostatectomy, will follow about 3 months later.

Catching the tumor in my kidney, which is the more problematic of the two
issues, was a very serendipitous outcome of the CT scan. If I hadn’t had
the prostate problem, the kidney cancer could have grown silently until it
was far advanced. I am fortunate that both tumors are small, in an early
stage, and completely curable through surgery.

The expected recovery time for each of these surgeries, though shorter than
I would have guessed, will affect my schedule of meetings, visitations,
etc., so I ask all members of the diocese to be understanding if I or a
member of the Bishop’s Staff asks to reschedule a meetings or event.
Working with my care team, I will try very hard not to let my medical needs
interfere with several, vital, diocesan events in the near future – events
about which you’ll hear more in the days to come – and not interfere with
the impending birth and celebration of our second grandchild (soon and very
soon!) However, I cannot be certain that recovering from surgery will
follow the schedule I desire. Again, personal circumstances sometime
intrude on what I consider to be the trajectory of my life and ministry.

Therefore, I share this information so you will know that the Bishop’s
Staff and other diocesan leaders will be on the job to ensure the good
order of the diocese, so that you may know my personal situation, and to
solicit your prayers for Donna, for my family, and for me in this time of
challenge.

May God richly bless each of you with health and thankful hearts as we come
to our national day of Thanksgiving and then with expectancy and faith as
we enter the Season of Advent.

P.S. Clergy, please share this with members of your congregations who may
not have received this email. You can do so in whatever way you see fit to
assure all in our diocese are updated.

I am filled with hope,

+Bishop Marty